This is one of my all-time favorite desserts, simply because of how easy and how incredibly storage friendly it is, you can make it at the weekend and just keep it in the freezer to be ready to eat whenever you want throughout the week! Despite being labeled as a ‘dessert’, this chocolate slice actually contains no refined sugar, all of the sweetness coming from dates and a drop of maple syrup, so although a sweetener, it raises blood sugar much slower than regular sugar due to its lower glycemic index, giving you a more long lasting energy. This recipe is ‘crunchy’ due to the addition of either rice ‘krispies’ or chopped almonds, but I have to say the latter do make it taste even creamier and more indulgent!
- 1 cup soaked dates
- ½ cup Rude Health porridge oats
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 cups rice krispies or chopped almonds
- Place all the dates in a bowl of hot water to soften up
- If using the almond option, roughly chop them up and set aside
- Place all ingredients except the rice krispies/almonds in a blender and blend on high until it forms a smooth paste
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl
- Add the ‘crunchy’ ingredient and fold it in
- Line a baking tin with grease-proof paper
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and spread it evenly so the mixture is about 1 inch thick
- Place it in the freezer for at least 1 hour before slicing and eating Enjoy!